Societies Issue Joint Guidance for Osteoporosis Management During the COVID-19 Pandemic
In a joint statement,1 a coalition of experts representing the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Endocrine Society, European Calcified Tissue Society, and National Osteoporosis Foundation issued guidance on the management of osteoporosis during the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
COVID-19 PANDEMIC UPDATE
Message to our patients
Sierra Endocrine Associates is currently contiuing to provide care and services to our patients during this World Pandemic. We are monitoring all Local, State and Federal agencies for guiedence and advise regarding safe operations and are making every effort to ensure the safety of our staff and our patients.
- Office visits are being converted to TeleHealth visits when possible
- Our staff will call each patient within a week of their scheduled visit to arrange the appropriate follow up. In most cases we are attempting to schedule a TeleHealth – Video conference vist when possible to minimize physical contact and practice the advised social distancing.
- Our laboratory remains open for those who need laboratory testing done prior to the visit. If avaiable the results will be reviewed during your TeleHelath Visit
- Those who are due for their next dose of Prolia (Denosumab) for treatment of Osteoporosis should not delay receiving their medication as there is a potential risk for fracture if the medication is missed
- For our patients with diabetes who use a continuous glucose monitor and or an insulin pump make sure you are uploading your diabetes data to the cloud and you have given share permission to Sierra Endocrine Associates.
- If you need help with this call the office and one of our trained Medical Assistants can assist with this process.
- Having this information at the time of your TeleHealth Vist will greatly enhance our ability to help and guide you
- The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists has published a set of guidelines for those with diabetes and other metabolic conditions wihch may be helful :
UPDATED Monday April 20, 2020
Sierra Endocrine Associates, located in prestigious north Fresno, California, was founded by Dr. Joseph B. Hawkins, Jr. in 1993. His goal was to build a team of highly skilled doctors, nurse practitioners, and health educators in order to better serve the Endocrine needs of the Central Valley.
Sierra Endocrine Associates is dedicated to providing outstanding medical care and education for patients in the areas of Diabetes, Endocrinology, Osteoporosis, Thyroid, and Lipid Metabolism (cholesterol treatment). Our members maintain an up-to-date awareness of the causes and treatments for disorders of the endocrine system. They also develop comprehensive programs to treat and/or manage these disorders.
What Does Endocrinologist Do?
Endocrinology is the study of medicine that relates to the endocrine system, which is the system that controls hormones and metabolism related diseases. Endocrinologists are specially trained physicians who diagnose diseases related to the hormone glands like the thyroid, pituitary, adrenal glands, and gonads. Endocriniolosists also diagnos and treat conditions of metabolism including Diabetes and contitions of bone metabolism like Osteoporosis. Because these doctors specialize in these conditions, which can be complex and have hard-to-spot symptoms, an endocrinologist is your best advocate when dealing with hormonal issues.
How to find or Contact Us?
Sierra Endocrine Associates is located on the North East corner of Millbrook and Spruce Ave one block north of Herndon Ave and Saint Agnes Medical Center. You can enter the parking lot from Millbrook or Spruce Ave.
Address : 7230 N. Millbrook Ave
Fresno Ca, 93720
OUR MOST COMMON SERVICES
Sierra Endocrine Associates strives to individualize Diabetes therapy with state of the art tools including Continuous Glucose Monitoring, Insulin Pumps, Inhales insulin’s and modern medications which have been identified as reducing cardiovascular disease and renal function decline. Our Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Registered Dietitians work together in a team approach to Diabetes Care. Comprehensive diabetes care would not be complete with out attention to prevention of complications including Microvascular (Eye, Kidney & Nerve) and Macrovascular (Heart Failure, Stroke and Heart attack).
At Sierra Endocrine Associates our board certified endocrinologists offer comprehensive evaluations for all thyroid conditions. We are able to consult, evaluate patients, perform diagnostic ultrasounds of the neck, needle biopsies of thyroid nodules and with our reference laboratory we can collect any needed laboratory measures to complete the evaluation process all at the first visit.
Dr. Hawkins brought the first Osteoporosis diagnostic center to the Central San Joaquin Valley when he opened practuce in 1993. Sierra Endocrine Assocaites is the only center in Central California offering comprehensive evaluation of bone health, diagnostic including Bone Densitometry, Vertebral Fracture Assessment, Trabecular Bone Score. We also can perform many essential diagnostic laboratory test in our State Licensed Reference Laboratory. After consulting with our Physicaians and individualzed treatment plan can be initiated including administration of intravenous and injectable therapies – all under one roof.